Feel Pain, Think Vitex negundo
Eye infections, Ear Pain, Inflamed Tonsils, Painful Lymph nodes, Sinusitis, Asthma, Cough, Allergies, Mouth Ulcers, Periodontal disease, Rheumatic pains, Headaches, Shoulder pain, Back pain, Sciatic pain, Excessive gas & bloating, Indigestion, Intestinal Parasites/Worms, Skin discoloration, Skin infections, Wounds, Painful periods, PMS, Anxiety, Depression, Sleep disorders, fibrocystic breast disease. Disclaimer: For the untrained eye, many plants appear similar. Do not attempt to harvest and use herbs until and unless you are familiar with herb identification and usage.
If you want to use any of the herbs mentioned on these blogs, please do so under the guidance of a doctor or a holistic practitioner. You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for usage information specific to your issue.
Scientific Name: Vitex negundo | English: Five leaved Chaste Tree | Sanskrit: Nirgundi | Tamil: Nirnochchi, Chinduvaram | Marathi: Nirgundi | Telugu: Nallavavili | Kannada: Bile-Nekki | Hindi: Nirgundi |
Parts used: Flowers, Fruits, Leaves, Stem and Roots.
1. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb and helps address lower back pain as well as swollen and inflamed joints caused by Rheumatism. Use Decoction of the leaves as well as fomentation with the warm leaf paste on the affected areas.
2. Regular gargling with the decoction of leaves will help alleviate bleeding gums, Pyorrhoea and other periodontal diseases.
3. Decoction would also help heal tonsillitis, swollen lymph nodes, cough, excessive discharge of mucus.. as this herb also has antibiotic properties.
4. Addition of 1-2 leaves, to Onion Kashyam will enhance the antipyretic properties of the Kashyam.
5. Decoction of leaves is used to treat PMS as well as painful menstruation. To make decoction 3-4 leaves are taken and boiled in 500 ml of water, till it is reduced to approximately 150 ml. This decoction can be taken 2-3 times daily.
6. 1/4th tsp of leaf powder combined with a pinch of Trikatu, taken twice a day aids weight loss, improves digestion and helps address bowel related issues. If fresh leaves are available, then you can replace the powder with 1 tsp of fresh leaf juice taken twice a day.
7. For Wounds, Boils, Skin infections: Application of paste of Nirgundi, Neem and tender Pongamia leaves on the affected part
8. Leaves ground into a paste are also applied to the head to help remedy severe headaches.
9. A similar poultice is prepared with fresh leaves, is heated and then applied to sprains and inflamed joints.
10. For those suffering from issues due to excessive dryness of skin, chapped lips, chapped and painful feet etc- An application of Nirgundi leaf poultice to the navel area will help alleviate these conditions.
Caution: Whilst this plant is highly medicinal, it has to be used with caution. Check with your guide, doctor, naturopath before using this herb.